9 reasons breakfast is a must
Is it an old wives tale, or is breakfast really the most important meal of the day?
Perhaps your mother always made you eat hot lumpy porridge in the morning, so as soon as you were on your own, you developed the coffee habit, and ever since then breakfast was...at lunchtime.
But it's actually true, breakfast can make or break a diet, because breakfast helps set the tone for the rest of the day. If you're one of those people who think avoiding breakfast is a good way to lose weight...think again. Here are the top reasons why you should definitely eat breakfast, every day:
1. Break the fast. Ever think of what "breakfast" means? Your body responds to not eating for hours by reducing it's metabolic rate. By eating breakfast, you wake up your metabolism and get your engine buzzing, burning those calories you need to burn to lose weight.
2. Are you interested in doing better at work and school? Don't be a bed head, breakfast helps wake you up. Studies show that people who eat breakfast are more alert and do better on tests than people who skip breakfast. Equally, a hungry child can be uninterested and irritable when challenged with difficult tasks. Breakfast is crucial, no doubt adults need breakfast as much as kids do.
3. Breakfast is your chance to eat the foods you may not eat the rest of the day. You can have whole-grain cereal and berries with non-fat milk - here is your fibre, folic acid and calcium in one easy-to-grab bowl. Low-carbers need to go very easy on grains, choose the highest-fibre brand you can find.
4. Skipping breakfast makes you grumpy, studies show that people who eat breakfast are likely to be in better moods. Breakfast gets you started on the right track for the day. If you start out with a healthy breakfast, then you set the mood for lunch. You're more likely to choose something sensible for lunch if you've paid some attention to your breakfast choices.
5. Cancel the danish first thing in the morning - they cause a blood sugar dip a couple of hours later. You'll be desperate for something to perk you up, and are more likely to eat another high-sugar refined carb, for a quick sugar rush.
6. Breakfast makes your machine run better. Get yourself on a schedule with a healthy breakfast, and you're ready to take on the world.
7. If you're a parent, set a good example. By skipping breakfast, your kids will think it's not essential. Breakfast doesn't have to be a big event, make it a routine, and your kids will be way ahead of the game too.
8. Don't eat dessert for breakfast. If you think a cereal bar with 30 grams of sugar is breakfast, then think again. Some cereal bars contain nearly as much sugar and fat as a regular chocolate bar.
9. If it says "Nutritious" it doesn't necessarily mean it's healthy. Cereal manufacturers are specialists in marketing, using words that send a message of health, but unless you read the labels, eat at your own risk. Kids' cereals often have more sugar than sweets. Protect your kids from getting hooked on these cereals, they'll get used to all the sugar and will only want pre-sweetened cereals.
Whatever diet you follow...breakfast is an essential for a healthy lifestyle.